Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » Weapons » MILITARY WEAPONS » There hasn't been a post....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: There hasn't been a post....
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Miltary Weapons since May 2007.

I was driving a 2007 Mustang GT ragtop then. And have gone through three more new vehicles since that last post.

Of all the military weapons I have owned over a 40 plus year period, the one I wish I had kept was my Remington M1903A4 sniper. It had the Redfield base and 7/8" rings with a Lyman Alaskan 2.5X telescopic sight with the post and horizontal cross hair reticle. After a trigger job that four groove barrel dated 3-43 would put Twin Cities 1953 made M2 Ball into 2.25 inches at 100 yards off the best rest. Not too shabby for a wartime rifle and service ammo.

I scored about seven 20 round boxes of Rem-UMC .30/06 Palma Match ammo at a local gunshop at an attractive price. This was a 180 gr FMJBT that was one of the best factory match loads of its day. I fired 20 rounds into four five shot groups and got an average group size of 1.25 inches. This is what good ammo can do even in a wartime produced military barrel. With a scope of higher magnification I'm sure that it would have done a bit better.

But in 1976 I broke up my collection of military weapons, both rifle and handguns, and sold them off. Would ya believe I sold that 03A4 for a mere $200 back then....... Today it fetch $2000 or better. Anybody got a time machine I can borrow for a few hours?

I had another wartime sniper rifle in the cabinet. A BSA 1945 made Rifle No.4 Mark I (T). Complete with the wooden box it was stored in. Ditto the steel box for the scope and mounts and even had the Mark I silk lens cloth. I acquired this gem from a local dealer for only $150. No decent milsurp ammo was to be had for the .303 Mark VII round back then. So I handloaded my own using a Hornady 174 grain .311" JSP in Winchester cases. Accuracy was almost as good as the Palma Match in the 03A4. It wasn't a pretty rifle but it could shoot with the best of them. No wonder the Brits hung on to it for so long even after the switchover to the 7.62mm FN FAL.

But alas I sold it too. Same price as the 03A4. I don't even want to know what it is worth today......

And so it goes so all of them did way back then.

The Retired One

Posts: 12574 | From: Hoosier State | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pennville bill
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pennville bill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Redacted because Admin didn't look at the posting very closely. What can I say? I hadn't had any coffee yet. My error; my apologies........

[ November 02, 2012, 17:09: Message edited by: Pennville bill ]

--------------------
Regards,
Bill
_ _______________________________ _
I could eat a can of alphabet soup and shit a better argument than that.

Posts: 5508 | From: East central Indiana | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did. You got some kind of problem with me?

If so, spell it out.

And so it goes.

The WTF Are You Implying Retired One

Pennville bill
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pennville bill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problems, nothing implied, nothing to spell out.

Thanks for the new posting; let's see if it will get some conversation flowing.

--------------------
Regards,
Bill

Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Bill,

Okay, no problem then.

Coffee? I have never drank a single cup of the stuff in my entire life. I get my caffeine cold as in unsweetened iced tea....

And so it goes.

The Iced Tea Or Cold Diet Soda Retired One

Don't blame me, the only hot drink I like is hot chocolate

Pennville bill
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 1090

-

--------------------
Regards,
Bill

Seventh Fleet
Member # 591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seventh Fleet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Retired Bum:
In Miltary Weapons since May 2007.

I was driving a 2007 Mustang GT ragtop then. And have gone through three more new vehicles since that last post.

Of all the military weapons I have owned over a 40 plus year period, the one I wish I had kept was my Remington M1903A4 sniper. It had the Redfield base and 7/8" rings with a Lyman Alaskan 2.5X telescopic sight with the post and horizontal cross hair reticle. After a trigger job that four groove barrel dated 3-43 would put Twin Cities 1953 made M2 Ball into 2.25 inches at 100 yards off the best rest. Not too shabby for a wartime rifle and service ammo.

I scored about seven 20 round boxes of Rem-UMC .30/06 Palma Match ammo at a local gunshop at an attractive price. This was a 180 gr FMJBT that was one of the best factory match loads of its day. I fired 20 rounds into four five shot groups and got an average group size of 1.25 inches. This is what good ammo can do even in a wartime produced military barrel. With a scope of higher magnification I'm sure that it would have done a bit better.

But in 1976 I broke up my collection of military weapons, both rifle and handguns, and sold them off. Would ya believe I sold that 03A4 for a mere $200 back then....... Today it fetch $2000 or better. Anybody got a time machine I can borrow for a few hours?

I had another wartime sniper rifle in the cabinet. A BSA 1945 made Rifle No.4 Mark I (T). Complete with the wooden box it was stored in. Ditto the steel box for the scope and mounts and even had the Mark I silk lens cloth. I acquired this gem from a local dealer for only $150. No decent milsurp ammo was to be had for the .303 Mark VII round back then. So I handloaded my own using a Hornady 174 grain .311" JSP in Winchester cases. Accuracy was almost as good as the Palma Match in the 03A4. It wasn't a pretty rifle but it could shoot with the best of them. No wonder the Brits hung on to it for so long even after the switchover to the 7.62mm FN FAL.

But alas I sold it too. Same price as the 03A4. I don't even want to know what it is worth today......

And so it goes so all of them did way back then.

The Retired One

Here's your time machine. Get one while they're still around...

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/1903-A4-Sniper-Rifle.html

7th

--------------------
Support Your Local Police
Keep Them Independent

Posts: 2647 | From: South East | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

So where the hell have you been hiding out?

I have seen these phony made up from Rem 1903A3 "snipers" at gun shows around here. Usually tagged as "original" and priced at $2000 and up.

No way would I be touching them at any price. I buy originals or I do without and at today's prices I do without.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Seventh Fleet
Member # 591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seventh Fleet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still hiding from the undertaker just like you are you old coot. It's hard to believe, but if I make it until next June 1st I will have been retired for ten wonderful years.

You couldn't melt me and pour me back in a police uniform especailly as screwed up as things are in our country these days with that ingorant African muzzie in the White House... LOL

7th

--------------------
Support Your Local Police
Keep Them Independent

Posts: 2647 | From: South East | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
RogerTC1
Member # 560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RogerTC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly military surplus has dried up and hit the collectors realm...sad I miss them times

--------------------
"I'm too proud to beg and too lazy to work" Uncle Fester Adams

Posts: 2273 | From: Iowa | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RogerTC1
Member # 560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RogerTC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old post. You miss your Mustang Bum?

--------------------
"I'm too proud to beg and too lazy to work" Uncle Fester Adams

Posts: 2273 | From: Iowa | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Do I miss the '07 Mustang GT ragtop?

At one time I did. That is why I bought a new leftover 2012 Camaro SS Level 2 ragtop in 2013. But it is gone also. Got rid of it last March. Don't really miss it all that much. No more muscle cars or convertibles for me these daze.

Until I change my mind....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.