Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » Weapons » MILITARY WEAPONS » Anyone catch this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone catch this?
Grizz
Resident Antagonist!
Member # 270

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Grizz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems they found this German Tank sunk in a Lake for 62 years, After it was cleaned up the diesel engine actually fired up!
 -
 -

--------------------
"I want to find your inner child and kick it's little ass!"

Posts: 7086 | From: just slightly off center! | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is NOT a GERMAN tank.

It is a Soviet WW2 T34 equipped with the 76.2mm gun. It also has a V12 diesel, one of the very few tanks so powered. All of the German tanks used gasoline burning engines such as the Maybach V12 used in the PZKW Mark V aka the Panther and the Mark VI aka the Tiger.

All US tanks of WW2 had gasoline engines as well. Most of the British tanks burned gasoline. All of the French tanks were gas burners.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Posts: 12815 | From: Hoosier State | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bare
Member # 2918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Musta been a captured tank. It has a German cross on the front.

--------------------
You become that which you despise.

Posts: 3571 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't see the German cross on the front glacis of the T34.

Not unusual at all. Using captured enemy vehicles such as armor, trucks, autos, and motorcycles was standard practice during WW2.

I remember seeing a photo of an Italian light tank captured by the British who painted the Union Jack on it and used it until it was in turn captured by the German Afrika Korps who painted a crude cross on it for their use.

During the Battle of the Bulge, a lot of US Army jeeps were captured by the Germans and were used by them until the end of the war. The Germans also used captured US weapons such as the .30 M1 Carbine which they thought highly of and the .50 M2 BMG which had no couterpart in the German inventory.

Back to the T34 tank. In 1942 the Germans found a number of T 34's that had been abandoned by the Russians after they had run out of fuel. These tanks were intack and complete with ammo. The tanks were loaded on railroad flatcars and hauled back to German for evaluation. It was clear that the T34 was superior to the Mark IV which was the standard German tank at the time. Some German officers wanted to build a copy of the T34 albeit with a German made gun. But national pride forbade anything like that, so a tank using a lot of the design features of the T34 was developed and the end result was the Mark V Panther medium tank. The Germans decided to stick with a gasoline burning engine, the Maybach 700 bhp V12. The Panther after the bugs were worked out of it became the best tank of WW2.

The Soviets kept the T34 in production after the war and it was called the T34/85. It had a new 85mm gun. Eventually the T34 was dropped from production about the time the Korean War started. The NK Army was supplied with about 450 T34's and just about every one of them was destroyed in combat against the US Army's new M46 Pershing equipped with a powerful 90mm gun. The result was the development of the new T54 with the 85mm gun. When a new 100mm gun was developed, the T54 was equipped with it and was redesignated the T55.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Grizz
Resident Antagonist!
Member # 270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! Didn't mean to twist your nipples Bum! I didn't even pay attention to what type of tank it was, Just came across the story and thought I'd share! Geez!

--------------------
"I want to find your inner child and kick it's little ass!"

Posts: 7086 | From: just slightly off center! | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Grizz,

Twist my nipples?

Sounds kinda kinky to me.

Be thankful that guys like me know about WW2 tanks and the like. We gotta keep things on the up and up.

And so it goes, twisted nipples not withstanding.

The Retired One

Bare
Member # 2918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, twisted nipples and all, I enjoyed the read just the same.

--------------------
You become that which you despise.

Posts: 3571 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DocZeus
Uncommon Drunk
Member # 3337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DocZeus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Retired Bum:
Grizz,

Twist my nipples?

Sounds kinda kinky to me.

The Retired One

You guys gotta get laid more. [Big Grin]

DocZeus

--------------------
"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentation of the women!"

Posts: 2674 | From: Central KY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.