Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » General » OUTDOORS » Black Bear self defense?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Black Bear self defense?
Sergeant Stredanko
Member # 590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sergeant Stredanko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought some property in the deep woods that has lots of deer and bear signs and plan on camping and hunting it. Sometimes with my kids. Mainly thinking in terms of self defense here, and realize that most black bears usually won't charge unless you surprise them, get near their cubs or piss them off. I usually carry a 1911 / 45acp but don't think unloading a mag of hollow points would necessarily stop one if needed. Will 6 rounds from a 44 mag pistol? I have a 45-70 lever action guide gun but it is too heavy to drag around when out and about all the time.

What do you think? I would really like to just keep my 1911 on me but then again maybe not.

Posts: 73 | From: Georgia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remington 870 Police with Berenke Slugs.
I've killed Mr. Grizz and several troublesome black bears with this combo.

A .44mag will work, but ammo selection is the main factor.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sergeant Stredanko
Member # 590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sergeant Stredanko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks J W.. I didn't even think about the shotgun. Maybe keep it or the 45-70 around camp and carrying the .44 mag is the ticket. I guess I need another holster. The .44 pistol has an 8 3/4" barrel and I have never carried it up to now. I guess I could get another die for the re-loader and make up some hot hollow point reloads for the .44. Would that be effective?
DocZeus
Uncommon Drunk
Member # 3337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DocZeus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jungle Work:
Remington 870 Police with Berenke Slugs.

Jungle Work

Amen to that.

DocZeus

--------------------
"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentation of the women!"

Posts: 2674 | From: Central KY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dustin Dran
Member # 3263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dustin Dran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try a 250 grain Kieth SWC insted of the hollow point. and a .44 Mag would be a great defense.

--------------------
it all comes down to GPM v:s BTU's

Posts: 77 | From: Plymouth | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sergeant Stredanko
Member # 590

Thanks.. I will surf the internet for some of that 250 gn Keith .44 ammo right now.

Another question.. I seem to have this one with me a lot because it is fun as shit to shoot. Will a string of 30 rounds of target ammo out of this thing stop a bear, or will it just piss him off? It's a .223

-

jchiar
Member # 3283

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jchiar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More than likely piss him off to no end

--------------------
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"
~ Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 718 | From: essex ny | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sergeant Stredanko
Member # 590

I wonder how much and which powder to get the max velocity with the Keith?
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some of my fellow Rangers shoot a black bear with their issue M16A1. The bear finally died, but it was severly pissed off until another Ranger put a a couple slugs into him. Little bullets going real fast work fine on most humans with sensitive feelings, but don't always work with Rinos and Hippos.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.