Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » General » OUTDOORS » Hog huntin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hog huntin
Jingwa
Member # 1480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jingwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone out there get to hunt feral hogs. Started hunting them heavy about a year ago and I'm bit with the bug.
Posts: 532 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you hunt them for sport or for the meat?

The only wild swine I ever saw in SW Texas was the little javelina as I remember them be called. I would imagine that feral hog meat would be gamey tasting in the extreme. I guess ya could always make some kind of chili out of it.....

The Retired one

Posts: 12815 | From: Hoosier State | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were having a problem with feral hogs where I worked after I retired from the PD. Tried trapping them, but when that didn't work real well, it was murder city. While on patrol we'd shoot them. The traps did work all that well cause them some smart little critters and they figured that out right quick what was going on. The M16s we carried in the front of the patrol units weren't cutting it with the hogs. I started carrying my PSS in the front of the patrol vehicle with me when on patrol of the back country and I'd lay waste to them when I saw one. Left it lay for the coyotes. I was pretty popular with the coyotes for about three years.

Prolific breeders and they tear up the flora and the fona in the park and piss the Bosses off.
Some of the guys had tried to cap them with their 40s and .45s, had some mad as hell hogs.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jingwa
Member # 1480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jingwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hunt them for meat. Have some in Stubb's pork marinade and wine right now, headed for the oven.

You can process wild hog, even rank boars up to about 300 pounds, right after skinning/butchering. Takes about four days in ice water and secret ingredients (not so secret), and totally eliminates the game taste.

Then you have the freshest pork in the county. I've even had veegans try it and like it.

I was just wondering if anyone else had the hog hunting bug.

Jingwa
Member # 1480

In my short year of hog hunting I've learned one very important thing that holds true elsewhere. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement!

Wild hogs are tough as hell. I shot one in the neck with a 7mm Mag from 120yds, blew out 95% of it's vertabrae, and it was still trying to get up and charge me. I've also had one expire in seconds from a .243 shot in the same area. Double lung shot and they'll drop in 40 to 100 yards, on average. Hit the heart as well, and they usually stop much sooner...USUALLY

Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J,
My son lives in Weatherford, Oklahoma and a friend he works with has a big problem with feral hogs on his land. In addation to them hunting them, they trap them. They always end up with some young hogs in the traps. They process them and they end up in the Okie Version of a BARbque Grill. Tasty little critters.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jingwa
Member # 1480

Yummm.

Everyone I've talked to with experience at cooking the "whole hog" loves the little ones. 50 to 70 pounders are about right. Smaller than that and they can squeeze outta the cattle panels.

Sounds like we need to go visit your son for a weekend of target practice, grillin' and story swappin' at the end of an ice cold barley pop.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.