Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » General » OUTDOORS » Any one score during the deer season?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any one score during the deer season?
1927A1
Pheasant Entrepreneur Owner/Operator
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1927A1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the weather here at 90% rain and temps in the mid 40's to the upper 50's hunting has sucked.

This Saturday is the last day for gun, and muzzle loading starts up on Monday 13 DEC- 18 DEC. The next open firearm season opens for antlerless on 29 DEC- 31 DEC on private land only.

Hopefully the weather will turn cold and snow will be present.

1927A1

--------------------
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
---Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 2604 | From: God's Country, WV | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ColtMKIV
Member # 152

Icon 8 posted      Profile for ColtMKIV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard the same thing, one of my co-workers has a small home firearms dealership on the side, and he has heard the same from his regulars here in North Texas.

But, he did bring in some of his famous "dove-poppers". not a filling meal, but a great taste treat, kinda makes up for the shortage of venision jerkey that is always laying around to snack on.

--------------------
Criminals Prefer unarmed victims

Posts: 1372 | From: Denton County, Texas | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
1927A1
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1927A1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ColtMKIV,

Looking out my bedroom window yesterday late afternoon there were 17 deer feeding either in the front yard or out in the sorghum field.

Out of the 17 I would venture to guess half were this years born. Not one buck in sight. I had 5 before the firearm season started.

1927A1

--------------------
---Theodore Roosevelt

ColtMKIV
Member # 152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColtMKIV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like my stepfather's lodge home that sits on the shore of Lake Whitney, right outside of Waco. He will grab his morning coffie and sit on the front steps and watch the deer nibble on the feed he sprinkles about 50 yards away.

--------------------
Criminals Prefer unarmed victims

Posts: 1372 | From: Denton County, Texas | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
1927A1
Member # 8

Well I finally scored yesterday on the last 3 days on the antler less deer season.

It was around 5:15pm sitting on the side of a hill coming back down to the house when 9 deer where running down the hill. All does and first year young.

As they all past, one mature doe came back and was looking around and blowing and stamping the ground. She looked at me and went back with the other deer.

Her big mistake was when she decided to come back for a second look. I was about 60yards when I took the shot. I hit the doe and she broke running to the bottom field.

As I returned back to the house, the other deer plus 4 more, all doe, were by the house. I went inside the house to eat supper and about a half hour I went looking for the Doe in the bottom field where I last saw her run into.

It is now total darkness and she was not where I had anticipated. As I circled the field with the Polaris Ranger and my aux light, I still found nothing.

As I was exiting the field and going up to the two ponds at the back of my property, she was laying on the trail.

I would estimate the Doe, as live weight between 150-170 lbs. I laid her on the front plow of the Ranger since there was no way to get her up onto the bed of the Ranger.

I got her back at the barn and then gutted her out and placed the whole entrails package into garbage bags, and out for garbage pick up. With 5 dogs in the household, you do not leave a gut pile lying around, unless you enjoy the smell of vomit from the dogs or the gut pile returned to the house and placed on the deck.

It is bad enough with the slob hunters in this area that throw the remaining carcass along the side of the road and by my creek.

The shot was made with a Winchester 94 Trapper in
44 mag. and a 16" barrel. I had an Aim Point red dot non magnifying scope. Ammo was 240g lead cast flat nose.

Impact was the heart and lung area.

1927A1

--------------------
---Theodore Roosevelt

cyanide
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is bad enough with the slob hunters in this area that throw the remaining carcass along the side of the road and by my creek.

Man the slob hunters were thick this year

trespassing
illegal weapons
un-pluged shotguns (our state says three round limit)
drinking and hunting
they put up stands on my property (perm )

I hate them.

Wish the hunting license fee would go way high to discourage them from hunting.

IP: Logged
1927A1
Member # 8

quote:
Man the slob hunters were thick this year

trespassing
illegal weapons
un-pluged shotguns (our state says three round limit)
drinking and hunting
they put up stands on my property (perm )

I hate them.

Wish the hunting license fee would go way high to discourage them from hunting.

Actually, I feel that raising the hunting license fee's would be more counter productive. This puts a burden on the unfortunate hunter, and in turn makes him a poacher. There will always be slob hunter(s)/poacher(s).

1927A1

--------------------
---Theodore Roosevelt

cyanide
unregistered

Burden --- LOL

You can buy meat and fresh domestic turkey for way less than you pay to hunt them and frankly it tastes better also.

Burden, that is a joke.

cyanide
unregistered

In my state a hunters license is 19.00, turkey permit 24.00, shotgun lets go real cheap 200.00

shells pack of ten turkey loads 10.00
camo clothes, calls, gas to huinting area

Burden ---- thats rich.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.