Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » General » OUTDOORS » meat or horns

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: meat or horns
jim dandy
Member # 1136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jim dandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when big game hunting do u look for an animal with a great rack or 1 thats fat n sassy. in my younger days i was a trophy hunter always looking for that 10 pointer. now i'm more of a meat hunter & would pass up a buck with a decent rack for a nice fat doe. ny's firearm season starts at the end of the rut. the bucks have not been eatting much & are full of hormones. the does have been eatting well & are fat & tender. their meat tastes sweeter to me.

--------------------
the good LORD must love crazy people. he made so many of them.

The Old Sarge
Member # 663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Old Sarge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim,

I am fortunate in that I have all sorts of time to hunt big game. When deer hunting, my season lasts at least 4 1/2 weeks, and if I don't get one with rifle or bow, I have an archery-only season for an additional three weeks. Elk season where I hunt is another 10 days and if I don't get one with rifle or bow, I have another 10 days later on that I can get one with a bow only.

Like you, as the years pass, I have become less and less a "horn hunter." I still appreciate a nice rack ... even on animals [Big Grin] ... but I would never pass a chance at a trophy. All things being equal, I'd take "The Big Guy" every time.

Early in any deer season I hold out for the biggest set of antlers I can find and have some dandies to show for my patience. As the season progresses I grow less and less picky. Meat in the freezer beats the hell out of horns on the wall at my house. During elk season I take the first legal animal I can get a decent shot at, but have still managed to take some record book bulls. I've learned the hard way that elk are hard enough to get. I do not limit myself further. lol

The Old Sarge

--------------------
Freedom comes with responsibility and often demands payment in blood.

http://www.wegotmorestuff.com/

http://www.plumedarcher.com/

jim dandy
Member # 1136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jim dandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
old sarge i always wanted to hunt elk but in my state the only big game animals are whitetails & black bear. i think i read that u use a 30-06 using 180gr bullets for elk. how well does that combo work on the big bulls? from what i read elk are the toughest animals in north america to kill. p.s. that nice rack comment made me spit my side laughing.

--------------------
the good LORD must love crazy people. he made so many of them.

1927A1
Pheasant Entrepreneur Owner/Operator
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1927A1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jim dandy,

I will take the doe over the small antlered buck.

I just harvested a nice 8-point. If I have to, I will take a nice big doe. Next year, I wont' take anything under a 10-point. They are far a few here in WV. So it will more then likely be just big does.

1927A1

--------------------
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
---Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 2604 | From: God's Country, WV | Registered: Sep 2000
bruce
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Washington states game and fishing laws are so screwed up I havent wasted my time hunting.
I would rather hunt the people in charge of game and fishing than the game they have tried to deprive me of.
Hippie on a stick anyone?

--------------------
Semper Fi.

The Old Sarge
Member # 663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Old Sarge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim, you're absolutely right. I use an '06 with 180 grn Nosler partition bullets. They work on everything I hunt ... big game that is. When shooting elk, I ALWAYS go for shots to the chest cavity. An '06 in the shoulder, rump or gut is a loosing proposition. Neck shots are lethal and effective but the neck is too small a target when you've only got a few seconds and the neck in question is often 200-300 yards away.

I pratice "quick" shots with my rifle untill I feel comfortable hitting in a 6 inch circle at least 150 yards away. I also practice out to 500 yards on targets as small as gallon jugs and oil bottles. My rifle/ammo combination is capable of 1 inch groups at 200 yards ... maybe better ... but I'm not good enough to know for sure. [Big Grin]

It has all paid off numerous times. I've killed all sizes of elk at a dead run from 125 to 300 yards with one shot. I've killed, with one shot, bulls standing at 550 yards. I KNOW my personal abilities, my rifle, my ammo, my trajectory, and I try to NEVER ask more than any of them can deliver.

Although I have killed many elk over the years, I have finished many seasons without even getting a shot ... and most of those years, I SAW elk but "passed" because of the limits. I can truthfully say that I never lost an elk that I shot at.

The Old Sarge

--------------------
Freedom comes with responsibility and often demands payment in blood.

http://www.wegotmorestuff.com/

http://www.plumedarcher.com/

gunnrsmate
Member # 839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gunnrsmate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically I am a meat hunter, that said, I would not pass up a shot on a big 'ol buck. So far this year I got a nice yearling doe during the early muzzle loader season, a big doe up north on opening day of the rifle season and a very nice very large 6 pointer on the 4th day of rifle season. I have another 4 doe tags to fill and since I am hunting in a special regs area I have until the 15th of Jan to get it done. GM

--------------------
"If you're gonna shoot....shoot, don't talk"

30 caliber
Member # 2914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30 caliber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely the meat. Those big pretty antlers are nice, but sure collect a lot of dust and cobwebs. Not that I would turn down a shot at a trophy buck. We have mule deer, elk and pronghorns here- all very tasty critters.

--------------------
Illigitemi non carborundum.

cyanide
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go for both
IP: Logged
1927A1
Pheasant Entrepreneur Owner/Operator
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1927A1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1927A1:
jim dandy,

I will take the doe over the small antlered buck.

I just harvested a nice 8-point. If I have to, I will take a nice big doe. Next year, I wont' take anything under a 10-point. They are far a few here in WV. So it will more then likely be just big does.

1927A1

Well since my last post of December 02, 2003 12:34 PM, I haven't seen any Bucks on my property like I have seen in the previous years.

The people here in WV just don't give the bucks a chance to grow. I took a nice size Doe once again on the 29th of Dec. using my Winchester 94 trapper in 44mag.

1927A1

--------------------
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
---Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 2604 | From: God's Country, WV | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
jpickens
Member # 3320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jpickens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on the season during buck season I tend to go for for one with either a decent rack or is fat during doe season it's strictly for meat I use to use a 243 with 80grain bullets but now it's a 30-06 with 165grain bullets or during muzzleloader season i use my 50caliber hawkins
Posts: 46 | From: weston,wv | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to get down on my hands and knees, stalking and crawling up to where the meat is and jump up and tell the butcher, "I have some of that $3.00 a pound steak."
When I did hunt, I always thought it was nice if somebody left a fat, juicy doe tied up to a tree.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
wacko
Member # 3344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wacko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meat hunter definately

wacko

--------------------
shit stomper

Posts: 8 | From: canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
jchiar
Member # 3283

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jchiar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never have seen a recipe for antlers [Smile]

--------------------
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"
~ Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 718 | From: essex ny | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.