Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » General » OUTDOORS » whats your favorite type of hunt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: whats your favorite type of hunt
jim dandy
Member # 1136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jim dandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what type of game animal do u enjoy hunting the most? what firearm & load do u favor in pursuit of your game? do u like hunting alone or with others?

--------------------
the good LORD must love crazy people. he made so many of them.

1927A1
Pheasant Entrepreneur Owner/Operator
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1927A1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jim dandy,

Good topic to start!!
quote:
what type of game animal do u enjoy hunting the most? what firearm & load do u favor in pursuit of your game? do u like hunting alone or with others?
I enjoy upland bird hunting more then anything else. Deer hunting is okay, wait and sit if you are in a stand. Same thing with turkey hunting.

Bird hunting is another story. Being with your faithful companion, any breed you choose to hunt with, is the only way to go.

I enjoy the fields the brush and woods. Whether Ring-necked Pheasants and Bob White Quail, in the fields or Ruffed Grouse in the woods.

Hunting Woodcock in the marsh is also fun.

I either use a Mossberg 12 pump or an O/U 12ga loaded with either 6 or 4's. Rabbits and squirrels go down just as well this this load.

I will not hunt in any party with more then 3 abreast. I will hunt usually alone or with one other person. As far as dogs, 2 GSP at a time.

1927A1

--------------------
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
---Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 2604 | From: God's Country, WV | Registered: Sep 2000
The Old Sarge
Member # 663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Old Sarge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite by far is big game. I hunt bear, elk, deer and am an opportunity mountain lion hunter. I've tried various rifles over the years, with various loads. Back about '83 I settled ona Remington 700 in .30'06 and about '92 tried Federal Premium ammo with 180 grn Nosler partition bullets. Still using both almost exclusively ... I still try different things fro kicks and grins for general comparison to my "Baby."

Since deer and bear season where I hunt ends one day and elk starts the very next(mountain lions are open the whole time and then some), I usually make a single trip of about 4-6 weeks ... with occassional trips home for laundry, gas, propane ... see momma. [Big Grin]

I share a camp with a bunch of cousins I grew up with and they all have to work ... poor bastards. They come and go as their schedules permit and most will devote at least a whole week of vacation time sometime during the 5 weeks or so. I enjoy hunting with them, especially when there's a lot of meat to haul off the mountain or when the stratagy calls for spreading out to locate game. We all pitch in and help whenever somebody kills something and only resume the hunt when everything is under control and the meat is cared for.

However, I REALLY enjoy the solitary hunts I do when nobody else is around. That's time for me ... and God.

The Old Sarge

PS If you force me to narrow the game to one species, I would have to choose elk ... simply because the damn things are so hard to figure out sometimes.

--------------------
Freedom comes with responsibility and often demands payment in blood.

http://www.wegotmorestuff.com/

http://www.plumedarcher.com/

jpickens
Member # 3320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jpickens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy all types of hunting although I don't get to hunt as often as I use to I still enjoy it
Posts: 46 | From: weston,wv | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jingwa
Member # 1480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jingwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grew up knowing not much but dove hunting.

The past few years it's been deer and hogs.

Damn I love spotting for hogs! We sat in the middle of a small oat field a few months ago...brush, mesquite and oaks on all four sides. Almost a full moon, just me and a good friend and his 10 year old son in the back of my pickup. We were trying to get his son his first hog. Son falls asleep, and we sat quietly for about two hours, watching and listening. Counted more than 60 hogs of all shapes and sizes, and heard even more. Never shot because we didn't feel the need. It was just great being a partipant with some of God's nightime critters. Doesn't get much better.

Posts: 532 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jchiar
Member # 3283

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jchiar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like huntng everything deer, bear, elk ,ducks ,geese especially coyote for close shots I use my taurus tracker .17 cal 61/2"bbl ,long shots I use my 22-250 for deer and bear I prefer my.480 ruger 7 1/2 bbl ,elk 7mm mag,for ducks and geese i use charles daly over and under ,i have a matched set in 12 and 20 ga ,or rem 870 31/2 super mag or, a 10 ga double depending on what time of year it is. Upland birds I use a 28 gauge double that I really like, over all I just love to hunt

--------------------
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"
~ Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 718 | From: essex ny | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Booker
Member # 3326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Booker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like hunting Deer the most. I go to a real nice place during modern gun season. The Big South Fork NRRA part of which is located in Kentucky. Rugged terrain. No sitting in deer stands. I learned from my father how to stalk deer. The older I get the less I stalk. I use a Colt Ar-15.
And every year I enter my name in the Elk lottery hunt that occurs in Eastern Kentucky.

Regards,
Booker

Posts: 1125 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hawk45
The 'FUCK YOU" kind of Moderator
Member # 3329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawk45     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put a good number of Canadian geese in the freezer here every year. They sure make for good eating. I use my Marlin45 Goose Gun and OO buck load.

My BIL is the deer-hunt fanatic so I get all the venison I can handle plus a great deal of venison sausage. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
FUCK OBAMA AND ALL LIBERAL ASSWIPES.

Posts: 2524 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
DocZeus
Uncommon Drunk
Member # 3337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DocZeus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big Game: Whitetail Deer.

Target(s) of Opportunity: Coyotes, Foxes, and Barking Squirrels above my Deer Blind. [Mad]

.30-'06 makes a MESS of 'em, even when ya "bark" 'em! [Eek!] Noisy Shits.

DocSoos

--------------------
"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentation of the women!"

Posts: 2674 | From: Central KY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
slayr
Member # 3373

Icon 14 posted      Profile for slayr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deer, dont much use guns hunting, I am a bowhunter [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dont fear the dark.....Fear what hunts in the Dark

Posts: 3 | From: Kinston. AL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.