Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » General » FREE SPEECH BOARD » So what is the weirdest or strangest thing ya ever found....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So what is the weirdest or strangest thing ya ever found....
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a similiar post on another forum and decided to ask the same question for all you HCT types.

When I was about ten years old I was out riding my bicylce in the street and looked down and saw a straight razor laying in the curb. Picked it up and it was a German made razor with the word "Soligen" stamped on the blade. The black plastic handles had an embossed swatstika on one side and the SS double runes on the other. Some WW2 GI's souvenir no doubt. Took it home and handed it to my old man. Explained how I came by it. He got out one of his whetstones and carefully sharpened it. Then used his leather razor strop to put the final touches to the blade. He shaved with that Nazi razor for several years. I always wanted to reclaim it, but it disappeared like so much of his property did.

While stationed in Germany in the mid 1960's on an ex-Luftwaffe fighter base near Kassel I found several 30mm cannon shells that were used in the Focke-Wolfes FW-190 wing cannon. I left them where they were and reported my find to the post MP's. They contacted a German Army EOD outfit and I showed them where the shells were. They turned out to be live HE rounds and deemed too dangerous to move. So a small amount of C-4 and a time fuse was used to blow them in place. I was about 200 yards away when they went off and then I had a look at the crater the explosion left. Good thing I didn't step on one of the mothers....

I used to find all kinds of weird shit while shaking down inmate cells and the common areas in the cellhouses. But one day I was walking the "rear yard post" outside of a cellhouse and found a small plastic bag filled with folded toilet paper. A very careful inspection done with rubber gloves revealed $500 in twenty dollar bills. There had been a shakedown inspection of that cellhouse earlier in the day and some convict pitched the money out of his cell window I surmise. Turned it in to the shift supevisor and asked him if he wanted a written memo about it. "That won't be necessary" was his reply. Betchya a cold one that scratch went home in his pocket at end of shift......

Since retiring from the BOP I haven't really found much of anything strange or weird lying around. I did pick up a $20 bill lying in the parking lot at WallyWorld earlier this year.

And so it goes.

The I Don't Always Do The Finders Keepers Thing Retired One

Don't blame me, I'm basically an honest person even if I am a pervert

Posts: 12920 | From: Hoosier State | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
looney
Messiah
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for looney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found a live grenade in a ditch with a friend next to the school playground aged 10. A recent storm must have unburried it. before the school was built(about 1960s) it was fields/woodland and prior to D-day the whole area was swamped with Canadian troops camped all over the place.

It was surmised that one of them had managed to lose it, well thats what bomb disposal said when they showed up after the school was evacuated.

The near miss was when I was looking through second hand books for sale a few years ago, wasn't concentrating properly and picked up a book and just thought "read it".

When the penny dropped I hurried back but it was gone. It was a copy of Homers Iliad, a first edition translation from greek by T.E.Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia.

Been to pissed of to look up what it was worth but must be worth a bit, selling for 20p or about 30 odd cents.

--------------------
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Posts: 1579 | From: U.K. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
looney
Messiah
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for looney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fuck it, did a google and it may have been the odeyssey, not first edition bu £27 or $55 here..

http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Homer-Translated-T-E-Lawrence/dp/0195068181

And then...

THE ODYSSEY OF HOMER
Homer (T.E. Lawrence - Trans.) // Moser, Barry
Bookseller: McLean Arts & Books
(McLean, VA, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating: 4-star rating
Price: £ 189.53

Thats a 2,000 limited edition reprint in 1981, fuck I'll think I'll stop now.

--------------------

Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
950,000 Piasters from the VC Tax Collectors I killed.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me do the math.

One US dollar in 66-67 was worth 1118 Dong aka Piasters at the official rate of exchane.

So JW found about $900 worth of Dong. That was a lot of money to a rural South Viet. It would keep his family in rice for at least a year.....

A short time with a village teenage girl was 400 Dong as I recall. That P950,000 would buy a lot of pussy and blowjobs. Or so I heard.....

And so it goes but not down to the village whore house.

The I'm As Clean As The Driven Snow Retired One

Don't blame me, I was only twenty at the time

DocZeus
Uncommon Drunk
Member # 3337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DocZeus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Retired Bum:
And so it goes but not down to the village whore house.

The I'm As Clean As The Driven Snow Retired One

Don't blame me, I was only twenty at the time

Not that I'm doubting your sincerity, Bum, but a saying from that timeless philosopher and Texan Ron White comes to mind:

"BOOOOOOOOOOOO-Ullll-SHEEEEEE-iiiiiit"! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

When I was 20, I spent the better part of my pay some months, when on a TDY in Thailand, on cheap whiskey and boom-boom girls at some of the FINEST local establishments. [Big Grin]

DocZeus

--------------------
"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentation of the women!"

Posts: 2674 | From: Central KY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
OZZY
Member # 2611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OZZY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got one for ya.
Back about 20 years I think, I was fishing out at sea off the coast where I know live and we were in some pretty large seas about 12 miles from Port when we saw a small object floating in the water. Needless to say curiosity got the better of us and we moved over and scooped it out of the water. It was a small plastic container no bigger than the size of your fist, we opened it up after scraping the barnicles from it and discovered that it was some sort of US army nuclear decontamination kit, it contained a vial of some substance and a few other things in it and it was not damaged and had remained sealed during its time in the water.
When we returned to shore we handed it to local Police and never heard another thing about it.

Any of you army guy's ever see anything like it or know what or who would of had such a thing?

Ozzy

--------------------
"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty." --Thomas Jefferson.

Posts: 2028 | From: Mid Nth Coast, NSW, Australia. (paradise) | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Well shit, I was wrong about the exchange rate for Dong. It was 118 to the dollar, not 1118 as I posted earlier.

There was a lot of black market activity going on in Vietnam. Possession of "green" money was forbidden. We used MPC aka Military Payment Certificates aka Monopoly Money aka funny money.

But there was a lot of green money moving around between GI's and the zips. You could get twice or better the official exchange rate of Dong for a greenback. But if ya got caught playing games like that, you faced a court martial if the Army wanted to make an example out of ya.....

And so it goes.

The I Kept Out Of Trouble Retired One

Don't blame me, I was a straight arrow most of the time

James Southerland
Member # 1961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Southerland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bum,

I don't know anything about anybody's dong except my own. Especially the NVA dong.

However it was the S. Vietnamese piastre or piaster that was propped up by uncle sam at 118 to the dollar.

I know of an individual who brought some of it incoutry from a Hong Kong R&R. He bought all they had at a bank, several thousand for the real market exchange rate of pennies on 108. This resulted in a significant gain for what little he could get changed back in VN. He spent the rest of it in "Sin city". Even the whores didn't want to take it.

Large denomination greenbacks would buy you a lot more pussy than the equivalent in MPCs. A hundred dollar bill would buy a 'baby san' for a whole month of non stop R&R.

The 'So I've heard' choirboy that mamma was proud of.

AAH, Vietnam, yes I remember son;

The men can't fight

The women can't fuck

and the Red and Yellow
Flag stands for itself.

--------------------
"When a nation makes too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors it winds up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Posts: 3080 | From: Exit 196 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

James,

I see that a little education is in order here.

The official name of the South Vietnamese basic money unit was the Dong. I have a number of SV bills and coins that are printed/stamped with that word.

The North Viets called their money the Dong as well. But the two were not interchangeable of course. The word piastre was basically a generic name for the local money. The zips where I was at in I Corps used the term instead of dong. The zips wern't supposed to be in possession of MPC but most of them took it anyway. While I was in country, the initial issue of MPC was still being used. After I left at the end of April 67, I heard that the military started issuing new replacement MPC on a regular basis. I had some of the MPC that I mailed home but it was stolen by a thief along with most of my other stuff I sent home during that year. That thief has been dead for about ten years now. Too bad it didn't happen sooner....

And so it goes.

The Enough Of This Tripping Down Memory Lane Retired One

Don't blame me, it was all a long time ago

Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was about $9000.00 American.
We gave some of it to the KC Scouts Families that had been KIAed and WIAed.
Gave Some to the Catholic Nuns who ran a Orphanage in Phan Thiet. The rest we took and with the help of the Battalion Sgt. Major of the Battalion we were seconded to, threw a Stand Down Party with beer, crab legs, and steak. The Battalion Mess provided the Baked Patatoes and Salad. Great Time had. The Division Sgt Major came down and we had a great time.
The Line Grunts loved the Division LRRPs after that.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
OZZY
Member # 2611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OZZY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OZZY:
I've got one for ya.
Back about 20 years I think, I was fishing out at sea off the coast where I know live and we were in some pretty large seas about 12 miles from Port when we saw a small object floating in the water. Needless to say curiosity got the better of us and we moved over and scooped it out of the water. It was a small plastic container no bigger than the size of your fist, we opened it up after scraping the barnicles from it and discovered that it was some sort of US army nuclear decontamination kit, it contained a vial of some substance and a few other things in it and it was not damaged and had remained sealed during its time in the water.
When we returned to shore we handed it to local Police and never heard another thing about it.

Any of you army guy's ever see anything like it or know what or who would of had such a thing?

Ozzy

No Takers??? Figures [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty." --Thomas Jefferson.

Posts: 2028 | From: Mid Nth Coast, NSW, Australia. (paradise) | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
DocZeus
Uncommon Drunk
Member # 3337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DocZeus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've got one for ya.

Ozzy

Did it look like THIS?:

-

Or THIS?:

-

Or possibly THIS?:

-

Sounds to me like a standard-issue M258 or M258A1 Decon Kit for U.S. troops, that are pictured above. We all had one in our M17 or M17A1 Gas Mask web gear back in the late 1970's/early 1980's, when the Big Bad Russian Bear liked to play with assorted "nasty surprises" for the battlefield.

The pic below shows the M17A1 web gear(notice the drinking tube attachment on the M17A1 Gas Mask), and there is an M258 Decon Kit in the lower right corner of the pic:

-

DocZeus

--------------------
"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentation of the women!"

PATRIOT48071
Member # 499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PATRIOT48071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remember that from my army days damn the m17 was a pain in the ass
Posts: 1628 | From: detroit michigan. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
OZZY
Member # 2611

quote:
Originally posted by DocZeus:
quote:
I've got one for ya.

Ozzy

Did it look like THIS?:

-

Or THIS?:

-

Or possibly THIS?:

-

Sounds to me like a standard-issue M258 or M258A1 Decon Kit for U.S. troops, that are pictured above. We all had one in our M17 or M17A1 Gas Mask web gear back in the late 1970's/early 1980's, when the Big Bad Russian Bear liked to play with assorted "nasty surprises" for the battlefield.

The pic below shows the M17A1 web gear(notice the drinking tube attachment on the M17A1 Gas Mask), and there is an M258 Decon Kit in the lower right corner of the pic:

-

DocZeus

It looked like the first one Doc... Its a big ocean out there so we were pretty amazed that we found it, especially as the swell was pretty big that day and it was rough and and choppy to go with it.

Ozzy [Smile]

--------------------

TODD 3465
Member # 3182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TODD 3465     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I got 2 of them containers empty and "unissued". Great for keeping stuff dry in a field pack.

BTW, back on topic:

Just this morning I took a big dump and what do you know, it looked just like O'bama.

--------------------
In 1967, Polish mercenary Rafal Ganowicz was asked what it felt like to take a human life. He replied- "I wouldn't know I've only killed communists."

Posts: 2565 | From: Washington Co., Arkansas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
DocZeus
Uncommon Drunk
Member # 3337

quote:
Originally posted by TODD 3465:
BTW, back on topic:

Just this morning I took a big dump and what do you know, it looked just like O'bama.

I saw something weird in a public restroom last week.

There was a sign over one of the electric hand dryers by the sinks, with an arrow pointing down at the button, that said:

"Press Here for a Short Message From The President"

The Manager of the place was walking through the restroom, and I asked him about it; he said:

"If ya push that button, you WILL get a "Message from the President"; nothing like the smell of fresh shit and hot air to remind ya of Obama".

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

DocZeus

--------------------

TODD 3465
Member # 3182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TODD 3465     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMAO!

Now where is my sticker making kit?

No kidding I have one.

If I can find it I'll have some fun on my time off this Christmas.

--------------------
In 1967, Polish mercenary Rafal Ganowicz was asked what it felt like to take a human life. He replied- "I wouldn't know I've only killed communists."

Posts: 2565 | From: Washington Co., Arkansas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
looney
Messiah
Member # 894

quote:
Originally posted by TODD 3465:
And I got 2 of them containers empty and "unissued". Great for keeping stuff dry in a field pack.

BTW, back on topic:

so what? I had the shits the other day and squirted out a whole NAACP convention.

We dont have organisations like that in the UK.

--------------------

Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Let me see if I understand looneytuner correctly.

He states that origanizations such as the NAACP does not "exist" in the United Kingdom.

I have a very hard time believing that. With all of your "coloured" subjects in England, you are saying that none of them have mobbed up? Yeah, right......

And so it goes but not to Merry Olde England.

The Retired One

looney
Messiah
Member # 894

Afro-black as percentage of population is about 1%.

Total of ethnics is less than 10%.

There is the equalities commission, a government quango.

There just isn't enough of em to punch electorally and even their sympathisers dont crow about it, ie labour government.

--------------------

DocZeus
Uncommon Drunk
Member # 3337

Give it time, Looney; once the fuckers get a foothold, they breed like rabbits, immigrate by the thousands, and liberal white shitheads educate 'em in how to circumvent any political or government process.

Took about 50 years here; they fuck shit up everywhere they go.

DocZeus

--------------------

Hawk45
The 'FUCK YOU" kind of Moderator
Member # 3329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawk45     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DocZeus:
Give it time, Looney; once the fuckers get a foothold, they breed like rabbits, immigrate by the thousands, and liberal white shitheads educate 'em in how to circumvent any political or government process.

Took about 50 years here; they fuck shit up everywhere they go.

DocZeus

You nailed it Doc. From the highest paid porch monkey right down to the latest and youngest Welfare suckling ghetto brat the end result is always the same.

Hawk.....who wonders if we even have enough ships to transport all these worthless niggers back to Africa.

--------------------
FUCK OBAMA AND ALL LIBERAL ASSWIPES.

Posts: 2524 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.