Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » General » FREE SPEECH BOARD » Well, shit......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Well, shit......
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I have posted in the past, the conservation club and shooting range I belong to came under attack by a bunch of neighbors who want the place closed down.

The club was state chartered and has been there since 1935. But this bunch of fuckin' weenies don't like the sound of gunfire and filed a civil suit against the club at least three years ago.

Finally the case was heard on Dec 1st/2nd. The judge will make his decision and supposedly will let both parties know about Jan 15th. The club's lawyer thinks that we will win this case. Maybe.

So I guess that I will just have to cool my heels for another month until I find out. If the judge actually does deliver a decision. This case has been postponed more times than I can remember.

If the club wins, I hope that this is the end of it. I don't know much about civil lawsuits and I don't know if an appeal by the losing party can be done or not. This shit is getting very old.

I know one thing. I'm not gonna spend any money on anything firearm related until I hear the decision.

And so it goes and so it has for over three long years.

The Keeping My Fingers Crossed Retired One

Don't blame me, I'm just a member

Posts: 12920 | From: Hoosier State | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
James Southerland
Member # 1961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Southerland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a familiar story. Sportsmen go out in the country and build a facility.

Developers build for credit card yuppie families. Families move in and hear gunfire and want the facility to move.

It's happened to three clubs that I have belonged to. All are still operating.

--------------------
"When a nation makes too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors it winds up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Posts: 3080 | From: Exit 196 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
DocZeus
Uncommon Drunk
Member # 3337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DocZeus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with the club, Bum.

I USED to belong to a GREAT club here in Kentucky; there was so much infighting and bickering amongst the executive board, that I dropped out of being on it, and just became a "regular" member.

About 10 years ago, when Concealed Carry training was in full swing here in Kentucky, myself and about a dozen other instructors gave CCDW classes there. The clubhouse had an assembly hall that could seat 200+ people, with a video system and 5 ceiling-mounted TV's, and a 6-lane indoor pistol range....The IDEAL setup for this kind of training.

After a few months, the club got hit with a lawsuit from one of the CCDW class students, claiming that he had permanent hearing loss, due to the fact that HE REMOVED HIS OWN HEARING PROTECTION, just as the command to "Fire" was given. It didn't happen in one of my classes, but he did this in a buddy's class, in front of 15 witnesses and two other intructors, AFTER he had signed the state-mandated liability release form, signed by another witness that attended the class. Open and Shut Case, RIGHT?

WRONG. [Mad]

At the subsequent Executive Board meeting, the insurance guy in attendance, that carried the club's liability insurance, told us that we were going to settle "out of court", because it was cheaper than taking it to a jury trial.

We ALL said Bullshit to that, we WANT a trial, so that all of the jury could hear witness testimony about this dumbass's stupidity. The insurance guy told us we didn't have a CHOICE in the matter, that they were paying them. We later found out that this dickhead's wife that was suing us was a lawyer, and that they'd burned Wal-Mart and a few other local places with some of his bullshit, "slip and fall" or similar routines.

We argued for HOURS about it, half of the E-Board members saying pay up, my half saying FUCK 'em, we'll get some NEW insurance, and bounce this guys' ass straight out of court. That dickhead got a $10,000 payout, and the club's rates went up the following year.

The Executive Board made a new rule after that: ANYone conducting classes at the club range HAD to have $2 Million of PERSONAL liability insurance on file with the club, or they could not conduct CCDW training at the clubs facility, essentially putting a complete halt to this training.

I got up from the meeting, told 'em ALL they were a bunch of fucking cowards, and haven't been back since.

And people wonder why shit costs so much these days...... [Roll Eyes]

DocZeus

--------------------
"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentation of the women!"

Posts: 2674 | From: Central KY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
looney
Messiah
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for looney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know about hoosier laws but here the judge would want to know if they new of the noise when they moved in.

If they did then its tough shit*, if they didn't its the estate agents/previous owners they should be sueing for mis-representing/selling.

Mind you if its getting publicity it will jerk down their property values, unless its a cynical attempt to up the values if the owners did know.

I would make sure your lawyers on the ball with the economics, so many over look it but theres so much cross over in tort and contract law and quite often reveals other motives.

I would give the guy a ring just in case.

Dont blame me I only did contract law as an option.

*Law tends to favour who was there first, unless your clubs got a hell of a lot busier or now does different hours they/the yuppies are more screwed than tiger woods.

--------------------
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Posts: 1579 | From: U.K. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hawk45
The 'FUCK YOU" kind of Moderator
Member # 3329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawk45     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the Shooting Clubs are gone here as well thanks to to the fucking whining Libtard yuppies.They had no problems cutting down good trees and bulldozing acres of land to build their fucking dream homes tho. Now the big bitch is that Bambi is eating up their expensive shrubs and shit.

Hawk...who sez Fuck Em...and way to go Bambi.

--------------------
FUCK OBAMA AND ALL LIBERAL ASSWIPES.

Posts: 2524 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It don't happen in Texas. We passed laws that protect Gun Clubs from that shit.
Yuppies don't like it, but they can't do anything about it.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hankster2
Member # 3279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hankster2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of the lawsuit in St. Louis a while back....people bought homes near and "international" AIRPORT.... then complained about JET NOISE!!! assholes.....

--------------------
All thats necessary for Evil to triumph, is for Good men to do nothing.

Posts: 352 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mortdooley
Member # 4737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mortdooley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the same all over, when I was a kid someone built three new homes about 300 yards south of an egg ranch. When the wind was from the north you can guess how their homes smelled and what they wanted done about it. They won, no more eggs, no more chickens just more new homes that are old homes now.
Posts: 12 | From: Texas Gulf Coast | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.