Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » General » FREE SPEECH BOARD » Jim Zumbo Writes Alan Gottlieb

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jim Zumbo Writes Alan Gottlieb
Pennville bill
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pennville bill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
February 28, 2007

Mr. Alan Gottlieb, Chairman
Citizens Committee for the
Right to Keep and Bear Arms
12500 N.E. Tenth Place
Bellevue, WA 98005

Dear Alan:

They say that hindsight is always 20-20. In my case, hindsight has been a hard teacher, like the father teaching the son a lesson about life in the wood shed.

I was wrong when I recently suggested that wildlife agencies should ban semiautomatic firearms I erroneously called “assault rifles” for hunting. I insulted legions of my fellow gun owners in the process by calling them “terrorist rifles.” I can never apologize enough for having worn blinders when I should have been wearing bifocals.

But unlike those who would destroy the Second Amendment right to own a firearm – any firearm – I have learned from my embarrassing mistake. My error should not be used, as it has been in recent days by our common enemies, in an effort to dangerously erode our right to keep and bear arms.

I would hope instead to use this spotlight to address my hunting fraternity, many of whom shared my erroneous position. I am a hunter and like many others I had the wrong picture in mind. I associated these firearms with military action, and saw not hunting as I have known it, not the killing of a varmint, but the elimination of the entire colony. Nothing could be further from the truth, but I know from whence it comes. This ridiculous image, formed in the blink of an eye, exerts and unconscious effect on all decisions that follow. In seeking to protect our hunting rights by guarding how we are seen in the public eye, I lost sight of the larger picture; missed the forest for the trees.

My own lack of experience was no excuse for ignoring the fact that millions of Americans – people who would share a campfire or the shelter of their tent, and who have hurt nobody – own, hunt with and competitively shoot or collect the kinds of firearms I so easily dismissed.

I recently took a “crash course” on these firearms with Ted Nugent, to learn more about them and to educate myself. In the process, I learned about the very real threat that faces all American gun owners.

I’ve studied up on legislation now in Congress that would renew and dangerously expand a ban on many types of firearms. The bill, HR 1022 sponsored by New York Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, is written so broadly that it would outlaw numerous firearms and accessories, including a folding stock for a Ruger rifle. I understand that some of the language could ultimately take away my timeworn and cherished hunting rifles and shotguns as well as those of all American hunters.

The extremist supporters of HR 1022 don’t want to stop criminals. They want to invent new ones out of people like you and me with the simple stroke of a pen. They will do anything they can to make it impossible for more and more American citizens to legally own any firearm.

Realizing that what I wrote catered to this insidious attack on fellow gun owners has, one might say, “awakened a sleeping giant within me, and filled him with a terrible resolve.”

I made a mistake. But those who would use my remarks to further their despicable political agenda have made a bigger one. I hope to become their worst nightmare. I admit I was wrong. They insist they are right.

Enclosed, you will find a check that is intended to be used to fight and defeat HR 1022. I also hope it inspires other gun owners to “do as I do, not as I say.”

I’m putting my money where my mouth should have been, and where my heart and soul have always been. I know the Second Amendment isn’t about hunting and never has been. My blunder was in thinking that by working to protect precious hunting rights I was doing enough. I promise it will never happen again.

I don’t know what lies over the horizon for me. I am not ready for the rocking chair.

I’m going to devote every ounce of my energy to this battle. I will remind my fellow hunters that we are first, gun owners. Whether we like it or not, our former apathy and prejudices may place that which we love, hunting, in jeopardy. I will educate fellow outdoorsmen who mistakenly think like I talked, even if I have to visit every hunting camp and climb into every duck blind and deer stand in this country to get it done. I was wrong, and I’m going to make it right.

Sincerely,
Jim Zumbo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do y'all think? Is this sincere or more saving face?

--------------------
Regards,
Bill
_ _______________________________ _
I could eat a can of alphabet soup and shit a better argument than that.

Posts: 5508 | From: East central Indiana | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
intruder
Member # 859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for intruder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds sincere enough.

He has learned his lesson and is ready to make amends. Actually, some good can come out of it – he can pull the Elmer Fudds to our side.

Posts: 1001 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
KPDPipes
Member # 3307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KPDPipes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by intruder:
Sounds sincere enough.

He has learned his lesson and is ready to make amends. Actually, some good can come out of it – he can pull the Elmer Fudds to our side.

never happen..Fudds are Fudds, and they wont figure it out until its too late. Even the announcement of the Brady's "Sniper Rifle" ban proposal isnt enough to jolt those idiots out of their reverie.
Posts: 155 | From: Northern NJ | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the late 80s the NRA took several Chiefs of Police and Sheriffs from across the nation to Washington, the District of Cannabils to lobby against the Assault Weapons Bill. The Texas Deglation was rather large so we divided in two groups. The group I was in finished early with their Reps and Senators, so we decided to visit Howie Metzenbaum, D-Ohio, the Chuckie "the AntiChrist" Scumberbag of his day and time.

When his aide told him there were a bunch of LEOs in the waiting room, he ran out with his hand extended and a smile on his face. He told us he was glad to ban Assault Weapons because they were the main tools criminals and the biggest killers of LEOs. I explained to him what we were there for and he then frowned and started mumbling. I ask him if we just gave him the "Assault" Weapons, what was next. To which he replied "Those Deadly Sniper Rifles". I then as ol' Howie what a sniper rifle was and he said, "You know those rifles with Periscopes on them like they killed Jack Kennedy with". I did want to argue gun with the idiot so I told him we called those "Deer Rifles" down in Texas. He then said, "Right, those Sniper Rifles like you hunt deer with in Texas is what we have to ban next". The dumbass then left the room and we left.

I don't know what is worse, a dumbass like ol' Howie or the dumbass Fudds like ol Zumboy who doesn't have a clue when it comes to the Second Amendment. Either way, they are both worthless
Pieces of Shit in my book.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PB can you link where you found this letter. I went to RKBA web and there is no mention of it.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Pennville bill
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pennville bill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jungle Work:
PB can you link where you found this letter. I went to RKBA web and there is no mention of it.

Jungle Work

I pulled it from another board JW. There wasn't wasn't a direct link to CCRKBA.

TEXAS MINUTEMEN LINK

This is my reply on that forum:

quote:
I'd like to give Mr. Zumbo the benefit of the doubt, but his words were terribly injurious to those of us who strongly believe in the 2nd Amendment. And they're were spread very far and wide. I'd look at this as a step in the right direction, but IMHO he's got a long way to go.......
ETA: I couldn't find any mention of the letter on the CCRKBA web site, but after doing a Google I found where it was published on The High Road forums:

HIGH ROAD LINK

--------------------
Regards,
Bill
_ _______________________________ _
I could eat a can of alphabet soup and shit a better argument than that.

Posts: 5508 | From: East central Indiana | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jungle Work
Member # 373

My Reply to the Appologist for Zomboy

This one was named Bill and he writes and publishes a hunting blog and newspaper colum in the State of Big Organ.

quote:
What ol' Bill doesn't understand is that I'm not a member of a rabid
minority, I'm a TERRORIST according to Zumboy. I am one of the happy majority that let my feelings be known to the sponsors of Mr. Zumboy. If his words cost him his sponsorships, Xin Loi. It was his words that sparked the event, his First Amendment Rights, but with those rights goes the Responsibility for the support and portection of his brother gun owners. A Responsibility he does not uphold. So Bill, tell me why he has First Amendment Rights and I don't, when it comes to voicing our opinions to the sponsors he enjoys for his opinion about we Terrorist.

I don't hunt, haven't since I spent 23 months in Ground Combat in Vietnam, but I shoot weekly and I own "Terrorist" Weapons according to Zumboy. And I'm not afraid to voice my opinions to those who sell products that sponsor or did sponsor Zumboy.

Jungle Work

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.