Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » General » FREE SPEECH BOARD » Tactical Vest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tactical Vest
saltplainsgunman
Member # 3080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saltplainsgunman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I buy a tac vest that provides good protection from handgun rounds and shrapnel with some pockets for magazines, gear, for $100.00?$200.00?

--------------------
FUCK OBAMA

Posts: 815 | From: By The Salt Fork | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
JJ
Administrator
Member # 1163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I ever heard of in that price range saltplainsgunman.

--------------------
The greatest feat the Devil ever achieved was convince the world he didn't exist.

Neca eos omnes Deus suos agnoscet
Translation:
"Kill them all.
God will know His own."

Posts: 10413 | From: Pa. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$500.00 For a good level II vest, minumin.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
JJ
Administrator
Member # 1163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When buying something that stops a bullet from hitting your heart cost would not be my first consideration LOL

--------------------
The greatest feat the Devil ever achieved was convince the world he didn't exist.

Translation:
"Kill them all.
God will know His own."

James Southerland
Member # 1961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Southerland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In that price range you might be able to armor plate a wheelbarrow enough to stop pistol rounds and steel splinters and have enough left over to buy some sheets of tinfoil to prevent mind control radiation and even buy a few 'cans'. But a level II vest, no.

--------------------
"When a nation makes too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors it winds up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Posts: 3080 | From: Exit 196 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
intruder
Member # 859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for intruder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you guys see this one? Face mask, Level IIIA

Note the restriction – military, law enforcement, and security personnel only. Who's "security personnel"? Do the guards that work for the Nation of Islam -- who provided security for Farrakhan & company during the Million Negro Shuffle onto Washington, DC -- qualify as "security personnel"?

http://www.interamer.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=187

-

Posts: 1001 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
intruder
Member # 859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for intruder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, maybe we can assist SLPGM in finding some of what he's looking for -- in the actual price range, hopefully on the lower $ side. I'll have to review the bookmarks I have, but I think some of the guys here are well-versed in the matter, more so than I.
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to ask this question of Salty.

Where would you going and what would you be doing that would cause you to want a "tactical" vest of this type in the first place?

You planning on going to work for Blackwater or one of the other PMC's (Private Military Contractor)? A job in Iraq, Afghanistan, or some other third world shithole would be a good incentive to acquire the best body armor that you can afford if the company doesn't provide it for you.

And if ya are thinking about going into the bankrobbing business, I could see that this kind of protection might be a legitimate necessity. Think North Hollywood 1997 for example.....

Or maybe ya just want one so you can impress yer pals in whatever "group" ya hang out with. Look at me, this vest I'm wearing will stop hand grenade fragments and any non armor piercing small arms bullet up to a 7.62x51 Nato round.

You won't have to worry about stopping shrapnel. Nobody uses it anymore. Technically, shrapnel are lead musket balls (in the old blackpowder days) and steel ball bearings packed into an artillery projectile. A small bursting charge would be timed to break up the thin walled projectile. The forward velocity of the projectile would impart enough energy to the shrapnel to kill or seriously wound anyone it hit.

And so endeth the lesson.

The Retired One

Posts: 12920 | From: Hoosier State | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
intruder
Member # 859

RB, I don't know why Salty looks for a vest of this type; I assume it's not to commit crime – if so, he would not be looking for info on a board frequented by LE types.

I think you're coming close to sounding like an anti-gunner: "Why would you need this kind of gun, firing bullets that can penetrate this or that? You want that kind of gun, go in the military – they will provide it to you, free of charge. Besides, you do have already some guns. Why do you need 338 Lapua when 308 is a fine, mighty gun. And why in the world would you need so many handguns . . . " etc.etc.

Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
intruder,

So I'm coming close to sounding like an anti-gunner.

Ya really think so?

Maybe I am just being perverse for the hell of it. Sometimes I like to play the devil's advocate. But you never know how somebody is gonna take yer words.....

For the record, I'm a NRA Life Member and have been for 40 years. I've owned a lot of guns (in the hundreds) and shot away a few tons of ammo over the years. I'm the kind of person who the phrase "gun nut" was invented to describe. I could go on but I think that I have made myself clear on this subject.

I will continue to play the devil's advocate from time to time. You may not like what I have to say. But I have the fuckin' right to say it and I really don't give a big fat rat's ass if you or anybody else doesn't like it. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you or anybody else on this board. When I do decide to pick a fight you and the others won't have any trouble figuring it out.

I speak my mind. At age 61 I figure that I have earned the right even if nobody else would agree with me.

And so it goes and all that good shit....

The Retired One

intruder
Member # 859

RB, no need to enter your PMS-mode.

--"You may not like what I have to say"

"Like?" No Sir, I couldn’t care less about our likes & dislikes. And hell, I've never challenged your 'right to speak your mind,' at 61 or at 41. I merely commented on what needed to be commented on – the remark virtually asked to be made. We're all sufficiently old/mature here to post not in order to get approval from anyone else but merely to speak one's mind – something I do, and something YOU claim to be doing. Playing the devil's advocate is fine. It will prompt others to comment, agree or disagree – and that's fine, too. No need to break out in allergy/rash.

--"When I do decide to pick a fight you and the others won't have any trouble figuring it out."

I agree Sir. When Petey was on your tail recently, you were doing so "well" that the rest of HCT regulars had to chase him away . . .

Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

intruder,

Last things first.

Petey didn't need to be chased away by any of the HCT regulars. I wasn't trying to chase him away. I enjoy mixing it up with Petey and those like him. If Petey doesn't show up for a while, then it is all on the regulars and that includes you.

Now for the rest of yer response. I'm not breaking out in any kind of rash and I damn sure well don't have an allergy to anyone or anything posted on HCT. I've been around since Sept 2000 and have over 4000 posts. If I had a thin skin or couldn't take the heat, I'd have left a long time ago. PMS is something broads and other pussies have. It is manifested by throwng hissy fits and the like. Now that is something that I have seen from others on this site from time to time. I don't recall that you are guilty of such a thing, but I could be wrong about that.

You don't care about "our" likes and dislikes.

Okay. If you say so.....

Have a nice day and be thankful that HCT is one of the very few sites that I know of that allows one to speak one's mind without worrying about offending the owner/admin/moderator/whomever.

If ya can't have a nice day, then try yer best or whatever....

And so it goes and probably will go for a bit more.

The Retired One

JJ
Administrator
Member # 1163

Saltplainsgunman
By no means was I belittling you or your question.

--------------------

Translation:
"Kill them all.
God will know His own."

pato
Member # 1758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pato     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I would have to ask for clarification.
A "tac" vest, in my experience, is more like a load bearing vest--used for tactical environments and has things like pouches and pockets and velcro, etc. Some come with slots to but body armor into--so you end up with tactical body armor, i suppose.

Body armor comes in various configurations by various manufacturers. My patrol vest is 3A--has a trauma plate in the chest--will stop handgun rounds basically.

My SWAT vest is Level 3, and will withstand a 7.62 hit--to a point. If I get hit perpendiculr with the 7.62--most likely the vest will not stop the round. The front of the SWAT vest, with the 25 pound ceramic plate--is Level 4 and will withstand--allegedly--a single hit with an AP round.

The patrol vest can be bought for as little as $300--depending on threat level. The betetr the protection--the more costly the vest.

The best protection is to not get shot, of course.

pato

--------------------
En la vida se presentan dos o tres ocasiones para ser heroe, pero casi todos los dias se presentan la ocasion para no ser cobarde"

Posts: 4440 | From: San Antonio, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
KPDPipes
Member # 3307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KPDPipes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry SPG, but even just the "Tactical Carrier" with the pockets for an existing Vest, level II or IIIA is going to run yoi between $125 and $200, depending on who makes it, and that does NOT include the Panels. I bought my external whan i was 125 lbs heavier, now the damn thing fits me like socks on a rooster, but frankly, i cant justify the cost of replacing it. Luckily our vests are supplied by the dept, and replaced at regular intervals, so i was able to put an old vest in the Tac-carrier when I was issued a new one way back when. I would say that a better bet for you, if you knwo someone that can sew for you, is to try to lay your hands on a used PD vest if you can, and have someone sew a carrier for you with MOLLE-type strips on it, then you can use commercial pouches and configure it the way you want, with a LOT less expense, and, frankly, considering some of the gear i've seen, Better quality.
Posts: 155 | From: Northern NJ | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
saltplainsgunman
Member # 3080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saltplainsgunman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fuckin cool

--------------------
FUCK OBAMA

saltplainsgunman
Member # 3080

RB

I wouldn't be going anywhere or doing anything that I would need one, but you never know what will happen on down the road.Mostly, so my survivability would be enhanced in a SHTF.

I don't plan on going to any shitholes or robbing any banks and I impress whatever pals I might have with my shooting.I impress some people with the cool shit I type on this keyboard.

I think that Nancy Pelosi is exactly 2 heartbeats away from being the POTUS.Some people think that there might be some government fighting with citizens over things like rights and guns.I am one of them.

Realistically, my life expectancy in a shooting war isn't near what it was when I was in my twenties.The cold hard fact is that I am not a soldier anymore.Avest like I saw a picture of the other night might keep me alive.

Old retired cats teaching lessons on the internet are cool, sometimes, so I guess I can stop worrying about shrapnel.

You, an anti-gunner?Nah.

I didn't think anyone was belittleing me, John, and I'm not a great proponent of the wheelbarrow, or 'cans', James.I tried tinfoil but the rays kept getting through.

Just getting a price range for a piece of equipment that want to get, so I can hope I never get to use it.

To clarify, if a vest had a bunch of pouches and magazine carriers on it, I might not need the web gear to carry reloads.

You guys remember wearing the web gear with the old army flak vest, right?I thought it sucked.Made it hard to get stuff out of ammo pouches.Especially laying on the ground.

Good answers.

--------------------
FUCK OBAMA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.