Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » General » FREE SPEECH BOARD » USS Texas....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: USS Texas....
KKK
Booted the fuck out a here!
Member # 377

Icon 14 posted      Profile for KKK         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Navy Nuclear Sub Debuts in Atlantic

By TRAVIS REED
Associated Press Writer
ABOARD THE U.S. NAVY SUBMARINE TEXAS (AP) -- The Navy debuted its newest nuclear-powered submarine Friday in an Atlantic Ocean swing off the Florida coast, the second in the latest fast-attack class that marks a broad departure from the Cold War-era deterrence boats.

The Texas, which will officially earn a "USS" designator in a commissioning ceremony in two weeks, weighs 7,800 tons, measures 377 feet long and can remain submerged on covert surveillance up to three months. It travels faster than 25 knots underwater and dives farther than 800 feet.

"It's much more effective than any ship I've been on before," said Capt. John Litherland, who has been on more than 50. "It's not the fastest, but the difference is that it's quiet even at its top speed."

Perhaps the biggest improvement is the ability to travel with a small special forces submarine, nine commandos and their gear. Previous subs would have carried only three Navy SEALS.

That kind of space is premium on a vessel designed to hide and spend most of its life underwater. Its maximum time submerged is limited only by the amount of food it can carry, because the boat generates its own power and oxygen.

Sailors sleep twelve to a room, on 6 1/2-foot beds with about 3 feet of top-to-bottom sleeping space, the 4-inch deep compartment under it the only place to stow belongings.

That's why they spent four weeks in basic training learning how to fold, crew members joke. And they've grown to carry less stuff, after training to spend up to six months at a time in the middle of the ocean.

More than 130 sailors will staff the sub when it begins serving missions, which after further trials might not be until 2008.
The boat carries sea-to-shore Tomahawk missiles, advanced capability Mark 48 torpedoes and mobile land mines. But one of its most critical missions is covert intelligence and surveillance.

The second of the so-called Virginia boats, following the USS Virginia, the Texas also features advanced navigation and computer systems that only require two sailors piloting. The periscope is fiberoptic, useful for two reasons: there is no longer a vulnerable hatch on top to telescope into and out of, and its images can be projected to everyone in the control room.

The Texas was built at a Newport News, Va., shipyard, where all or parts of the first 10 subs of the Virginia class are being built. It cost $2.7 billion and arrived about a year late for trials, though Navy officials expect future expenses and construction to be lower and smoother. The entire class could eventually number 30 submarines.

Though the sub is nuclear powered, it may or may not carry nuclear weapons - information the Navy keeps classified.

First lady Laura Bush christened the sub in the name of her home state in July 2004, smashing a ceremonial bottle of sparkling wine against the hull. The boat will be commissioned in Galveston, Texas, on Sept. 9, and its home port will be Groton, Conn.

It is the fourth vessel to be named after the state of Texas.

Posts: 2196 | From: Newburg, Ar,Lizard | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
KKK
Member # 377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KKK         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did you manage to overlook this one Bum? [Wink]
Hawk45
The 'FUCK YOU" kind of Moderator
Member # 3329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawk45     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No nuclear weapons on Fast Attack Subs....Jimmy Carter saw to that years ago. [Mad]

The only thing Nuclear on them Boats is the Reactor...

--------------------
FUCK OBAMA AND ALL LIBERAL ASSWIPES.

Posts: 2524 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenny de assKlown,

I have not overlooked anything. I just ignored yer stupid ass. Got a problem with that?

Hope so....

The Retired One

Posts: 12920 | From: Hoosier State | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
KKK
Member # 377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KKK         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Retired Bum:
Kenny de assKlown,

I have not overlooked anything. I just ignored yer stupid ass. Got a problem with that?

Hope so....

The Retired One

Nope, I seen the post to JJ where you were crying on his apron again. You overlooked posts I had made on the board and was afraid I got another vacation some how about bending some rules that ain't been made yet.
It was civil for a few days because nobody started some shit with me, I figured it'd take about a week for you crybabz to lick your wounds. [Big Grin]

pato
Member # 1758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pato     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kenny,
Why is it that if nobody is saying anything to you that you have to instigate something?

you didn't get enough attention growing up?

You have had your ass kicked around here so many times it's laughable and you keep coming back for more.

Pathetic, hillbilly, just fucking pathetic.

pato

--------------------
En la vida se presentan dos o tres ocasiones para ser heroe, pero casi todos los dias se presentan la ocasion para no ser cobarde"

Posts: 4440 | From: San Antonio, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crying on JJ's apron.

No, shithead, that is what you do everytime to get your worthless stupid ass back on HCT after you have been suspended.

Get something straight ya pimple on the ass of humanity, I didn't ask for you to come back to HCT. I just wondered what might have happened. I realize that your reading and retention skills leave a lot to be desired. How the hell you ever managed to graduate highschool has to be a fuckin' miracle. But then I remember that you are from Arkansas, the home of Slick Willie. And that answers that question.

So, dumbass, go back and read the thread I started and you will see what I posted. Whether you will be able to comprehend (look it up) it is another story.

Well, fucktard, it must really really suck extra special bad to be you. Ya fuckin' moron.

The Retired One

Posts: 12920 | From: Hoosier State | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
DocZeus
Uncommon Drunk
Member # 3337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DocZeus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As usual, Gentleman, you do not disappoint. [Big Grin]

KKK, you really need to get some new material, bud. Your trolling for RB and Pato, among others, is amusing, but you're getting your ass mashed most all of the time here. From someone that's only been here 2 months, just an observation.... [Wink]

And, I must admit, the word "fucktard" still brings out a grin. [Big Grin]

Drive On, Gentleman.

DocZeus

--------------------
"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentation of the women!"

Posts: 2674 | From: Central KY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
KPDPipes
Member # 3307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KPDPipes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk45:
No nuclear weapons on Fast Attack Subs....Jimmy Carter saw to that years ago. [Mad]

The only thing Nuclear on them Boats is the Reactor...

TLAM-N's can be loaded pretty quickly Hawk
Posts: 155 | From: Northern NJ | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hawk45
The 'FUCK YOU" kind of Moderator
Member # 3329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawk45     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep....BUT....The TLAM-N's are not even carried on the Boats for possible use. The Boat has to pull up to a Sub Tender or Shore Weapons Loading Facility to get them.

--------------------
FUCK OBAMA AND ALL LIBERAL ASSWIPES.

Posts: 2524 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pud
Member # 532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pud     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Texas sucks. [Cool]

Posts: 6748 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.