Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » Weapons » GENERAL WEAPONS » Not my kind of gun....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not my kind of gun....
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to the gunshop to loaf this afternoon and did my usual inspection of all the gun racks and display cases.

One of the new pieces was a boxed Calico M100 .22 LR pistol with the 100 round radial feed (?) magazine. I understand that this so called pistol was also offered in 9x19 caliber. And there was a 16" barreled version of the .22 with a folding stock that made it a legal rifle.

I did not request to handle the gun, but from what I could see, it appeared that most of the major componets of this thing are made of plastic.

The dealer said that Calico went out of production in 1996. The Klinton '94 AWB with its ten round magazine limit killed the piece.

Now I realize that some people will buy most anything if it appeals to them and the price is not a barrier. But this thing is IMNSHO butt ugly. A 100 round pistol? No thanx sez I. Price was $475 for this monstrosity. For that kind of money I could buy a real pistol and have enough scratch left over to buy some ammo as well.

And so it goes....

The Retired One

Posts: 12922 | From: Hoosier State | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheapassed Plastic Guns don't work very well or last very long. I can't imagine spending $475.00 on one. If somebody wants a plastic gun that will last, buy a Glock.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
DocZeus
Uncommon Drunk
Member # 3337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DocZeus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Retired Bum:
Price was $475 for this monstrosity. For that kind of money I could buy a real pistol and have enough scratch left over to buy some ammo as well.

And so it goes....

The Retired One

Agreed.....Buddy of mine had the 9mm version years back. Fun to shoot at the range, but not very practical. Saw a full-auto one back then, too, now THAT looked like a BLAST!!! [Big Grin]

$475.00 will buy you a quality S&W 617, or a COUPLE of quality used Ruger Mark II's.

DocZeus

--------------------
"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentation of the women!"

Posts: 2674 | From: Central KY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Specter1775
Member # 3269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Specter1775     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time that I saw a Calico was during a scene in a Sci-Fi movie. From I heard, that was the best role for them, in movies. Of course they could be like my buddies Tec-9, ugly as hell but fun to shoot.

Spec

[Big Grin]

Posts: 65 | From: Oahu Hawaii | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Claemore
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claemore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are fairly rare, and it seems to me that $475 is a decent price. I haven't heard anything about reliability, but I have heard that one of the reasons they were attractive to a certain set is that they are easily converted to full auto. A hundred rounds of .22 would be a lot of fun to shoot on full auto!

By the way, there are many, many durable pistols made from plastic.

--------------------
While the form of treachery varies slightly from case to case, liberals always manage to take the position that most undermines American security.
Ann Coulter

Posts: 21 | From: Northern Colorado | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
KPDPipes
Member # 3307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KPDPipes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had the .22 rifle..IIRC I paid about 175-180 bucks for it when i got it. The reciever was pot-metal pretty much, that said, it functioned pretty well, until it got dirty, then it would jam every round..As long as i gave iot a shot uf gunscrubber, and a little WD every magazine change, it ran like a champ though. Match Rifle??? Nope..but it is kinda fun to crank off 100 rounds between magazine reloads. The Mags were the real weak area though, the springs were easy to overwind, and even preban they were a little pricey.
Posts: 155 | From: Northern NJ | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.