Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » Weapons » GENERAL WEAPONS » Choice of Personal handgun for female

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Choice of Personal handgun for female
JoJo
Member # 3420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoJo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I'm new here. Found this place indirectly thru someone. Anyways, I've been wanting to get a handgun for personal protection. I'm single and travel alot and I would feel a bit safer if I had something to point with instead of my finger!!! [Big Grin] I was told by a friend to get myself a Lady's Smith and Wesson 9mm. What would you all recommand?

Also, before you give me any crap about "when you point a gun, use it" or "are you afraid of blood", my background.....Funeral Director/Embalmer. Been doing this work for over 18 years. Blood and guts is my business. I also have no problem shooting a human if I'm threatened.

JoJo

James Southerland
Member # 1961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Southerland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smith and wesson 3913/14, whether Ladysmith or Regular would be a mighty fine choice. You might want to look at a Sig 239. The Sig has slightly smaller grips. Kahr makes a single stack 9mm that is even smaller, both overall and grips.

You might also want to try a Glock 19.

There are lots of good choices. Find a range that rents guns and keep trying until you find one you like.

--------------------
"When a nation makes too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors it winds up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Posts: 3080 | From: Exit 196 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoJo
Member # 3420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoJo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the info. Now another stupid question (I want to learn) what handgun has the least kick? Course, trying them out would give me that answer!

I didn't know that ranges will rent guns out. There is a new range that just opened close to where I live, I'll check them out.

JoJo

JJ
Administrator
Member # 1163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoJo:
Thank you for the info. Now another stupid question (I want to learn) what handgun has the least kick? Course, trying them out would give me that answer!

I didn't know that ranges will rent guns out. There is a new range that just opened close to where I live, I'll check them out.

JoJo

The revolver is the best for the untrained but it has a bit more kick than a semi auto.
The semi auto uses part of the gases that propel the bullet to force the slide back and eject the empty casing.
It takes a lot of the lick out of it.
The revolver kicks a little more for the exact opposite reason.

Never ever point a loaded gun (they are always loaded) at anything you aren't willing to destroy.

You should take some classes, they aren't expensive at all.

Remember you can't put the bullet back in the gun once it's fired.

--------------------
The greatest feat the Devil ever achieved was convince the world he didn't exist.

Neca eos omnes Deus suos agnoscet
Translation:
"Kill them all.
God will know His own."

Posts: 10413 | From: Pa. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I taught handgun safety and shooting classes for
many years. I've had them show up at the range with everything from a Ruger Semi Auto .22lr MkII to a S&W .44mag. Some were good shooters and could handle anything and others were probably more dangerous to themselves than the Boogers out there. I also taught lots of police officers from academy basic to advanced tactical handgun and the same thing can be said about them. Women can handle what they want to.
Far be it from me to call them the weaker sex, when it takes 8-10 pounds to pull triggers on most revolvers and DA Semi Autos, double action and 3-5 pounds to pull the action on many Revolvers and Semi Autos, single action.

Pratice is the most important thing, besides a good instructor.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
JoJo
Member # 3420

Thanks guys for the info. I was thinking today if a revolver would be better for me since I'm new to guns. I have full intentions of getting instructions. I've shot guns before, but just out in the fields as a kid. How does a person know if they have a good, knowledgeable instructor? What questions should I ask? What red flags should I be aware of?

JJ.....I'm fully aware that if you point a gun at someone or something you need not think about IF you're going to shoot, you better be prepared to pull the trigger. My father always had guns in the house and taught us very young that "the unloaded ones kill you" meaning never ASS-ume it's not loaded. I know this first hand as I have buried my share of those who ASS-umed. It was the children killed that made me angry. I wanted to strangle their parents with my hands.

JoJo

saltplainsgunman
Member # 3080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saltplainsgunman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try out guns at the range.Find out what fits your hands good,and get the biggest bore that you CAN REALLY HANDLE.You need a gun that will produce whats called a STOP.That means that your opponent/antagonist/scumbag STOPS the attack when the bullet enters him.Not all calibers produce that effect.

--------------------
FUCK OBAMA

Posts: 815 | From: By The Salt Fork | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
TODD 3465
Member # 3182

Icon 14 posted      Profile for TODD 3465     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saltplainsgunman:
Try out guns at the range.Find out what fits your hands good,and get the biggest bore that you CAN REALLY HANDLE.You need a gun that will produce whats called a STOP.That means that your opponent/antagonist/scumbag STOPS the attack when the bullet enters him.Not all calibers produce that effect.

I agree with that. People vary in what they like, gender is not a defining thing with firearms.

--------------------
In 1967, Polish mercenary Rafal Ganowicz was asked what it felt like to take a human life. He replied- "I wouldn't know I've only killed communists."

Posts: 2565 | From: Washington Co., Arkansas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
JoJo
Member # 3420

Ok gunman, I'm thinking that you mean the largest "bullet" (bore) that I can handle? Now when I go to the range, I guess I need to ask for an instructor. Just can't walk in and say, hey, let me shoot your guns to find out what is best for me? Baby steps sounds like what's in order. I definately want to put the bum down for good if I'm going to shoot him, then rather have him come back at me either physically or thru the court system. You know how our liberal judges are these days...making laws on the bench, rather then taking the time to abide by them.

JoJo

JoJo
Member # 3420

I made an appointment at the range for Saturday. I'm sure whoever answered the phone must think I'm a nut job. Maybe I am...

JoJo

KPDPipes
Member # 3307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KPDPipes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoJo:
I made an appointment at the range for Saturday. I'm sure whoever answered the phone must think I'm a nut job. Maybe I am...

JoJo

Nope you're doing your part, recognizing a gap in your knowledge, and taking steps to remedy it. I cant add much to what JW said, but i will say this for myself. Handguns are a VERY personal type of thing, you are spending hundreds of dollars on a tool that has the potential to cause a lot of damage, or save your life. In the end the one overwhelming factor is YOU...Whatever you choose to buy, make sure that you practice with it and become proficient, and then shoot regularly to maintain that proficiency. What it all boils down to, is that noone can tell you what you shaould carry/own. we can all make suggestions, based on our own experience, likes, and dislikes, in the end though, YOU are the one who will be using the piece. If that means you get a .22 revolver, because that's what you are the most comfortable with, then so be it, don't let anyone else push you into getting something that you dont like. Shooting should be fun. Once it becomes a chore, then you wont want to practice. Good luck, have fun, and we expect a report after your first lesson!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 155 | From: Northern NJ | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Makarov Fan
Member # 1390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makarov Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The suggestion was made about the Glock 19.
You may want to check out the Glock 26. It's a tad smaller than the 19 and accepts the same magazines. That is what my wife carries.

--------------------
Ich bin kein Nationalsozialist!!!!
Ich bin Republikaner!!!!

Pistolet Makarova: Russian for "Your day just took a turn for the worse, Comrade Badguy!!!!

Posts: 303 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hard Ball
Member # 301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hard Ball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife does very well inded wit her SIG P22- .45ACP and the fami;y SIG P226 9mm.

--------------------
"I swear to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies domestic or foreign WHOMSOEVER."

Posts: 2244 | From: California USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.