Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » Weapons » GENERAL WEAPONS » A Day At The Range: With a Colt Officers 1911

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Day At The Range: With a Colt Officers 1911
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend and I went to his rural barn today and shot on his range. I took the Colt Officers Model 1911 in .45acp that I bought about a month ago. I have one I bought back in the 80s that's a safe queen, so when I saw this one, I knew it'd be a carry/shooter for me. It's about 93% to 95%. It has a 3 and 1/4 inch barrel and holds six rounds, 7 if you top off the mag after chambering a round.

So I load it up with lead 230grn ball and fire six at 7 yards. They all stay in the 10 with a flyer in the edge of the 9/10 ring on a standard B-27, black silhouette target that does not look like a negro. I fired the rest of a hundred rounds of the lead at 3, 7, 10, 15, and 25 yards. So far so good, no misses, still running and no stoppages.

I then began shooting 100 rounds of FMJ 230grn ball, WW White Box. So I bang away a hundred round of the FMJ do all the tricks a good combat shooter should pratice and save the last twelve rounds for "distance shooting". At one hundred yards, I found that I had to use the "Centered on the Top of the Berm Hold" to keep the rounds Center Mass. A center mass hold will get the rounds dropping in at about 80 to 90 yards and skipping into the berm. So much for 3 1/4 inch .45acp barrels for "sniper" pistols.

I then shot fifty rounds of Hornady 200grn +P and fifty rounds of the old Federal 230grn +P Hydrashok ammo. Again, no stoppages. The last round of each I saved for my scientific controlled, shoot a gallon of water in a plastic milk jug (identical to the human body) test. I shot each jug at ten yards and hit them center mass of a flat side. The TAP round opened the jug up like a rose, with several seems running vertically. The Hydrashok round opened the jug up with horizontal and vertical seams. Both jugs jumped up and did the wiggly squiggly and shooting water into the air like Ol' Faithful. I was highly impressed with my scientific test.

Now I've got to clean the pistol, sure wish my son, son in laws or grandsons were here. I make them clean the guns after shooting.

Good day at the range. After shooting, we cooked some steaks over a mesquite coals and had baked potato and slad with them. And since we were finished with the guns, a little Cerveza to wash it down. All in all, a good day for a new pistol.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
DocZeus
Uncommon Drunk
Member # 3337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DocZeus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent, JW.

Gotta love them 1911's. I've never had an Officer's Model, but I do have several Colt Commanders. Seems like the shorty would be a dream to carry IWB.

Ever have any problems with LRN ammo leading up your barrels? An old Colt Govt. I had was TERRIBLE about leading. If I remember correctly, it got a little better once it wore in, but still had a dickens of a time getting all the lead out of the rifling. And they were not loaded past 750 FPS, by chrony, and good-quality hard-cast lead. Might have been the way the rifling was cut.

DocZeus

--------------------
"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentation of the women!"

Posts: 2674 | From: Central KY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as the lead was fairly hard and I do not try to push them over 800fps, I haven't had any trouble with leading in any of my guns. I always shoot the lead ammo first and then the FMJ and clears it out.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Seventh Fleet
Member # 591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seventh Fleet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've owned a bright polished stainless Colt Officer's model for over 15 years now and I haven't got around to shooting it yet. The thing is so pretty to look at that I don't want to scratch it up. I have plenty of other 1911s to shoot when I feel like sending some .45 acp's downrange. I guess this one will be passed on to my sons in its still pristine NIB condition. I also have never fired the Springfield Armory nickled "Armed Citizen" with my police radio call number one it, that the department presented me with at my retirement party. I also have the complete set of four WW2 commeratives in display cases that I've never fired. Then there's the John M. Browning commerative that I've never.... Well you get the idea, I have far more 1911s that I've never fired than ones that I have fired.

7th

--------------------
Support Your Local Police
Keep Them Independent

Posts: 2647 | From: South East | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
KPDPipes
Member # 3307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KPDPipes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My everyday carry gun is the new version of the Officer's Model, the Defender..Ported from the factory, got it for a song from a co-worker involved in a divorce. Sweet piece and a tack-driver..if they'd let me carry it working I would.
Posts: 155 | From: Northern NJ | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Friend
Member # 3311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My carry gun is the Colt Officers model. It fits my hand and hits where I aim. The only mods I made was to add an arched mainspring housing and an adjustable sight. Not for sale at any price.
Posts: 325 | From: Where you least expect | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.