Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » Weapons » GENERAL WEAPONS » Ready to buy an AR

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ready to buy an AR
fastmover
Member # 3347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastmover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SO I guess I am gonna begin my shopping for an AR15. Thinking about Bushmaster or aramalite.....don't know yet....

Price does impact my decision...

What do you all think?

Posts: 201 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Booker
Member # 3326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Booker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FastMover,

no price limitation like at all...well..think about Colt pre ban, just my two cents worth

Good Luck,
Booker

Posts: 1125 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would highly recommend an older Colt (as Booker says, a preban), a Bushmaster or a Rock River. These a quality firearms and will give you good service. There are others, but I have used these and they are the three I consider the best for folks who like their guns to run the first time, every time.... JM$.02W.
The only experience I have is that I carried an M16/AR-15 daily for about 38 years. I'm also a M16/AR-15 Police Armorer (went to the Colt School). But I'm not an expurt, I leave that to others.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
CactusJack
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well geeeee whizzzzzzz, i just happen to have a 1975 made Colt SP-1 for sale, it is in excellent condition !!!!
IP: Logged
Pennville bill
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pennville bill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm totally satisfied w/ my Bushmaster

--------------------
Regards,
Bill
_ _______________________________ _
I could eat a can of alphabet soup and shit a better argument than that.

Posts: 5508 | From: East central Indiana | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lake
Member # 1187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Second the Bushmaster satisfaction.
Posts: 902 | From: East Texas | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
JJ
Administrator
Member # 1163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lake:
Second the Bushmaster satisfaction.

+3

--------------------
The greatest feat the Devil ever achieved was convince the world he didn't exist.

Neca eos omnes Deus suos agnoscet
Translation:
"Kill them all.
God will know His own."

Posts: 10411 | From: Pa. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pennville bill
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pennville bill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing to bear in mind if you buy a Colt: Only Colt parts can be used for repairs should they be necessary. Least that's what I've been told buy our department's armorer, and it was one of the major reasons why they went w/ buying Bushies for the department.

Maybe Armorer could give you some input on this.....

Just my 2¢ worth..........

[ June 18, 2006, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Pennville bill ]

--------------------
Regards,
Bill

KPDPipes
Member # 3307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KPDPipes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pennville bill:
One thing to bear in mind if you buy a Colt: Only Colt parts can be used for repairs should they be necessary. Least that's what I've been told buy our departments armorer, and it was one of the major reasopns why they went w/ buying Bushies for the department.

Maybe Armorer could give you some input on this.....

Just my 2¢ worth..........

Penn i think that would only be for Departmental liability reasons, for the average person, it shouldnt matter... That Said, i happen to have a buddy who's looking to unload his Colt Ar-15A2HBAR Sporter...Great condition with only about 2K rounds through it, with 2 20 rounder mags...
Posts: 155 | From: Northern NJ | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
RogerTC1
Member # 560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RogerTC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Rock River Arms AR...one of the best!! Check for a Manufacture where you live...

--------------------
"I'm too proud to beg and too lazy to work" Uncle Fester Adams

Posts: 2486 | From: Iowa | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pennville bill
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 1090

No KPDPipes.... The way I understood it, Colt dimensions their parts so they'll only work in Colt firearms. Other manufacturer's parts, sears, trigger assemblies, etc. won't fit or function in a Colt rifle. I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it as it was explained to me, but I'm the first to admit I'm no gunsmith.........

That's why I suggested someone ask Armorer what he knew..... As I recall his nic belies his profession............

--------------------
Regards,
Bill

Zoobear
Member # 3339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zoobear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All most all manufacturers of ARs will interchange parts with colts.

--------------------
Dont poke the bear.

Posts: 61 | From: High Ground | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
KPDPipes
Member # 3307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KPDPipes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pennville bill:
No KPDPipes.... The way I understood it, Colt dimensions their parts so they'll only work in Colt firearms. Other manufacturer's parts, sears, trigger assemblies, etc. won't fit or function in a Colt rifle. I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it as it was explained to me, but I'm the first to admit I'm no gunsmith.........

That's why I suggested someone ask Armorer what he knew..... As I recall his nic belies his profession............

If that's so, then it's something new, i had aftermarket parts in my HBAR.
Posts: 155 | From: Northern NJ | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pennville bill
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 1090

Hmmmmm........
Maybe I was told wrong. I'll ask the next time I see the guy.

--------------------
Regards,
Bill

Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the Colt Guns parts, hammer, trigger will not function in all ARs as the hammer and trigger pin is .154 diameter and the newer Colts is .172 diameter. Check the size pin you lower takes before buying or attempting to change. Make sure you have the right trigger and hammer for the lower you have. The same goes for the disconector. Other than that most things will interchange.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Seventh Fleet
Member # 591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seventh Fleet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want a good AR that you can depend on, why not consider building it yourself using a Rock River or DPMS kit?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR4001&storeid=1&image=kcara4.gif&CFID=14344493&CFTOKEN=97877597

http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Browse.asp?catID=1381

7th

--------------------
Support Your Local Police
Keep Them Independent

Posts: 2647 | From: South East | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
RogerTC1
Member # 560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RogerTC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRA is only about 40 miles from where i live. One used to be able to go to their shop which was beching their house on the Rock River in IL. Thus their name. Great guys. Since then they have gotten larger and moved. Heck the recievers are machined in Rock Island , Il by Lewis Manuf....

--------------------
"I'm too proud to beg and too lazy to work" Uncle Fester Adams

Posts: 2486 | From: Iowa | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TEXAS GUNMAN
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXAS GUNMAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bushmaster or Aramalite (both are 4150 steel and chrome lined) is top of the line, I went for Bushmaster and colt.

If you want a plinker made of 4130 steel & none chrome,unless extra cost for chrome lined, you can go for DPMS or RRA and hesse.

TG

Posts: 1988 | From: texas | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hard Ball
Member # 301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hard Ball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to get a 20 inch or 16 inch barrel. The .223 cartridge tends to loose ballistic efficency in barrels shorter than 16 inches.

--------------------
"I swear to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies domestic or foreign WHOMSOEVER."

Posts: 2244 | From: California USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pennville bill
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 1090

quote:
Originally posted by Jungle Work:
Some of the Colt Guns parts, hammer, trigger will not function in all ARs as the hammer and trigger pin is .154 diameter and the newer Colts is .172 diameter. Check the size pin you lower takes before buying or attempting to change. Make sure you have the right trigger and hammer for the lower you have. The same goes for the disconector. Other than that most things will interchange.

Jungle Work

Maybe this was what the guy meant when he said not all the parts were interchangeable on Colt AR's. Tip of the hat and thanks JW for the clarification.

--------------------
Regards,
Bill

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.