Hard Core Talk Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hard Core Talk » Weapons » GENERAL WEAPONS » What Brand of .22 LR Shells Do You Buy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Brand of .22 LR Shells Do You Buy
Jungle Work
Member # 373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jungle Work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Shoot?????

I buy the Egale Federal and the Peters High Speed. Both are 40grain solid bullets and they are accurate and work well in all of my .22lr Pistols and Rifles. The Eagles are cheaper than the Peters, but the Peters are more accurate.

Jungle Work

--------------------
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Graduate: University of South Vietnam School of Jungle Warfare

Posts: 6016 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Retired Bum
Dirty Old Man
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retired Bum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a variety of .22 LR fodder on my shelves.

The bulk of it is el cheapo ($9.00 a brick) CCI Brazer hi-speed 40 gr RN. This stuff shoots well in my Walther P22 and Beretta M21 Bobcat. I also use in the Colt .22 Conversion Unit mounted on one of my 70's Series GM frames. This ammo is dirty burning, but I clean my pistols after every range session, so it doesn't really matter.

For higher grader pistols such as the S&W Model 41, the Colt Woodsman Target, and the Browning Medalist, I use Remington /blue/green box standard velocity target grade 40 grain. This ammo is consistently accurate in my target pistols regardless of make. It costs twice what the Blazer does, but it is much more accurate.

I have small quantities of various .22 LR ammo such as CCI Stinger, CCI loaded Quikshok, and Winchester copper plated high velocity hollowpoints. I shoot these rounds in various revolvers I own. No feeding issues with revolvers....

I used to shoot lots of CCI MiniMag .22 LR years ago when I could buy them in 5000 round lots at very attractive prices at General Service Merchandise. But they went out of business and there is no place around here that I can find it at a price I'm willing to pay.

I have a few boxes of premium match grade ammo. RWS-50, Winchester Mark III Rifle Match, and Federal Ultra Match. I bought these to try in my Anschutz Model 54 Sporter. All give very good accuracy, but the cheaper Remington I mentioned above does just as well for substansially less money.

I made the mistake of buying a brick of Russian "Sniper" brand steelcased .22 LR some years ago. This shit would not eject from my S&W M422. So I tried it in my K-22. Very sticky extraction. Steel cased .22 may work okay in Russian made firearms, but it ain't worth a shit in my book. I ended up giving most of it away.

The Retired One

Posts: 12917 | From: Hoosier State | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swager
Member # 2513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swager   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Rem Gold in the bulk packs. I'm just plinking in the yard with a suppressed Walther or 10/22. I've found Thunderbolts are the most accurate in my guns for cheap stuff.
I should be ordering a .22 conversion for my mac and then I'll have to see what runs good in that, opposed to accuracy and dirt factor.

jchiar
Member # 3283

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jchiar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cci and federal , sometimes remington when on sale

--------------------
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"
~ Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 718 | From: essex ny | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Garand
Member # 254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CCI Stingers work beautifully in my Kimber .22 Conversion kit that is currently fitted on my Gov't Model.

--------------------

Posts: 392 | From: Alberta , Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Friend
Member # 3311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CCI for serious shooting. Wally World Federals for everything else.
Posts: 325 | From: Where you least expect | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Seventh Fleet
Member # 591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seventh Fleet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've bougth tens of thousands of rounds of those bulk packed Federal 550 round boxes at Wally World. I also bought a few thousand bulk packed Remingtons 550 round boxes as well but I much prefer the Federals due to their much better reliability.

7th

[ April 29, 2006, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Seventh Fleet ]

--------------------
Support Your Local Police
Keep Them Independent

Posts: 2647 | From: South East | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Makarov Fan
Member # 1390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makarov Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seventh Fleet:
I've bougth tens of thousands of rounds of those bulk packed Federal 550 round boxes at Wally World. I also bought a few thousand bulk packed Remingtons 550 round boxes as well but I much prefer the Federals due to their much better reliability.

7th

Ditto on the Wallyworld Federals!!

The Remingtons are junk IMHO!!

--------------------
Ich bin kein Nationalsozialist!!!!
Ich bin Republikaner!!!!

Pistolet Makarova: Russian for "Your day just took a turn for the worse, Comrade Badguy!!!!

Posts: 303 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
STRIKER1
Member # 3330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STRIKER1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Federals all the way!

--------------------
U.S. ARMY
CALL ON ME.

Posts: 133 | From: IOWA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bad Company
Member # 3360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Company     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wallyworld did carry Velocitors. They are very accurate out of my 10-22.

Another good one to have is Aguila .22-SSS. 60 grain bullet on a .22 short case. It was designed by the mossad for assasinations. Fairly quiet from a pistol.

CactusJack
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i personally have never bought any .22 SHELLS as i can pick them up free at any range !! [Big Grin]

but i do buy .22 ammo and what ever is on sale, but i prefer Winchester Power Points

IP: Logged
DocZeus
Uncommon Drunk
Member # 3337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DocZeus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like a lot of the others here, Wally World Bulk-Pack Federals for plinking/target. and CCI Stingers for small game hunting.

Also, I use either Winchester Supreme or CCI Maxi-Mag +IV for my .22 Mags, when I hunt 'yotes. I use Winchester FMJ's for squirrels when I hunt with one of my .22 mags. Tears 'em up a lot less! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentation of the women!"

Posts: 2674 | From: Central KY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
fastmover
Member # 3347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastmover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Federals here
Posts: 201 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WWW.HardCoreTalk.com

All contributions become the property of HardCoreTalk.com The Opinions, Views and Comments expressed by the members of this forum and website are their own and do not necessarily state or reflect those of HardCoreTalk.com or any of it's agents. HardCoreTalk.com does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of these messages and opinions, and does not perform an independent investigation to verify their truth or accuracy. All posted messages are the sole responsibility of the person from which such post originated. HardCoreTalk.com assumes no liability in any way for the content of any posted message or opinion, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any posted message FAIR USE NOTICE This board contains copyrighted material, which is reproduced under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107, and is posted for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. This material is posted without profit for the benefit of those who, by accessing this site, are expressing a prior interest in this information for research and educational purposes. This discussion board is strictly operated as a non profit venture and is for the express purpose of educating and informing our members and visitors.